by Dulce Leonor V. Torralba
A seventy-three-year-old (73) male US citizen residing in Bgy. San Gregorio, San Antonio, Zambales has tested positive for the Wuhan Virus (Covid 19) , becoming the first confirmed case in the province since the outbreak began late last year in China.
“Result tested positive (+) for COVID-19 today, March 26, 2020,” provincial health officer (PHO) Dr. Noel C. Bueno confirmed in a statement, “he is currently stable and was advised to continue strict observation and monitoring at home.”
Bueno said “the patient sought medical consultation at Our lady of Lourdes International Medical Center in Olongapo City and later referred to President Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Hospital due to no vacancy at the said hospital at that time.”
Contact tracing has been initiated and samples are being collected among those in close contact and had exposure with the patient.
Unconfirmed information on a positive case of Covid19 in Zambales preceded the PHO’s announcement, triggering a frenzy among residents, especially on social media, for fear of possible contact or exposure to the patient.
Bueno assures the public that the case was “handled in accordance with the established medical protocol” calling for full cooperation to prevent further spread of the virus. (Dulce Leonor V. Toralba)